Sunday, June 5, 2011

MMJ Day 5

What happens when a bunch of sewing ladies get together, they organise to meet up the next day and visit the Sydney Institute of TAFE NSW and see the exhibition "Style, Scissors and a Fantasy: the Alina Galasso retrospective". *

Alina Galasso played an important role in introducing European fabrics to the Australian fashion market through her company, Fabric Fantasy.

We all remembered visiting Fabric Fantasy in Commonwealth Street, Surry Hills, it is where Tessuti is located today.

So this morning we met at The TAFE to admire the beautiful garments that were made for Alina Galasso and others from the fabrics that Alina had imported to Australia which were amazing.

Photo taken by another sewing buddy

Top: Simplicity 2603 in brown mercury jersey (blogged here)
Jeans: Levi 550
Jacket: Vogue 7975 in brown and blue tweed (blogged here)
Accessory: Belt borrowed from DH and Made-by-Me jewellery
Boots: Betts 2 buckles

This is my 2nd piece of jewellery that I did at the beading course, and the colours where chosen to work with the tops that I took away to the USA in February this year.


When I got home I changed my top to McCall's 9080 in a grey stable knit which I made too many years ago to remember.


*This exhibition is on from 3-10 June 2011.

2 comments:

Amy Stanton said...

I'm so impressed with your jacket! I've done muslin after muslin for that, but never gathered the courage to actually sew it. I'd love to see that in person.

Your jewelry is great too!

Gay McDonell said...

WOW - that sounds like an interesting day out! Cute outfit - that jacket with the jeans looks a million bucks!