Friday, February 28, 2014

February Stashbusting

I did have high hopes this month, cutting out 2 skirts and also making a new top, however the skirts haven't progressed very far at all and the top, well all I have left to do is put in the sleeves and all I can say is that we are not talking to each other at the moment.

Thankfully my Marfy top was finished in February so I did manage to get one garment completed.

My other news is that a few weeks ago I received an email from Becki wanting to know my address as she had some fabrics that were orphans and they needed a new home and look what the postman delivered.

and inside packed in a Mood Designer Fabric bag was 5 pieces of gorgeous fabric:

Top to bottom:

  • Liberty of London Tana Lawn
  • Brown Wool that has a pattern woven into it
  • Silk charmeuse animal print
  • Silk cotton
  • Aubergine Wool Gaberdine

as well as two of the cutest Marfy labels

This is a very generous gift and has saved me from trying to find the Aubergine wool that was on my wish list!

Now February's Curating Challenge was to find 10 of your most favourite pieces of fabric and here they are:

February 2014 Curating Challenge
Why do I love them so much!
Most of them are wonderful memories of friendship and travel, as well as being in my colour palette and fitting in with my lifestyle.  Some are fabrics I wanted to challenge myself with e.g. 3ply gortex for a jacket and there is cashmere and camel wool for coats and jacket and the bottom row is for tops and a cardigan and a denim jacket, they were all purchased with a plan and so far that plan has not changed.

Doing this has now made me realise that I need some bottom weight green in my stash, I have the rust and browns to go with the multi coloured sweater knit and fine cord on the end, but some lovely moss or deep olive could be very handy!

2014 Stash Out: 3.2 m
2014 Stash In: 31.75 m

Monday, February 17, 2014

Off-white squares!

I have only completed one Marfy garment before so I thought it would be a good idea to make up a wearable version of Marfy 1913 in a similar fabric to the silk I purchased for this blouse.

First of all I made it up without any of my normal changes in some lining fabric that I have a lot of and soon realised I needed to lower the front neckline by 2cm as it was choking me.

The next problem was the back, I had these drag lines and I wasn't sure where they were coming from.

tried High Round adjustment but that didn't work!
Thankfully I had an ASG meeting to attend at The Remnant Warehouse and knew one of my sewing buddies would be able to help.  Wendy quickly pointed me in the right direction and I now know that for this pattern I needed to do the "Sticky Out Shoulder Blade" adjustment  (Fit for Real People, page 125 number 3) as well.

This brown Georgette with off-white squares has been in the stash for a long time, so after putting it through the gelatine mix I started to work on this top.

Over at the Marfy sew-along, Leisa had been given permission from Susan Khalje to post her wonderful tip on how to do the back slit, which is essentially a dart!

French Seams have been used for the shoulder and side seams.

For the collar I used Pro-Silk Organza from Fashion Sewing Supply for the interfacing of the collar (both upper and under) and added a self fabric rouleau for the button closure at the back.

When I attached the collar to the neckline, Leisa suggested that we machine stitch to the gathering and then hand stitch the gathering section.  I did this as my fabric was a bit stiffer (without the gelatine) than the silk and I wanted the gathers to fall softly, which I think they do.  I then pick stitched the collar in place from the right side.

To finish the armholes I cut  2.5cm bias strip of Sun Silky as Leisa explained under the Couture heading, and then pressed this in half, matching the cut edges right sides together, machine stitched this in place and then turned the bias strip to the wrong side and catch stitched it in place.

My hem length was another challenge, I added 8cm to the pattern and then cut off 6.5cm and realised the top was too short for the elastic to be used so this version has no elastic and will only be worn tucked in as it is a bit full around the hips for my comfort level.

After wearing it today, I have realised it needs a couple of extra changes e.g. lower the armhole, add the length back to try the elastic at the hem and add some extra to the armholes to cover the bra straps, but for this version I will add some strap keepers!

I am still very happy with this blouse and was surprised at how well it matched this skirt, so I think this will be my one of the two wild card for SWAP 2014.

2014 Stash Out: 3.2m
2014 Stash In: 24.25m

Sunday, February 9, 2014

First 3 Pac for SWAP 2014!

As I mentioned in my last post, my wool skirt is finished and I now have all 3 pieces for my first 3-pac for SWAP 2014; a skirt, blouse and jacket!

This is my TNT skirt pattern and the fabric is a very fine light brown wool which was gifted to me by a wonderful sewing buddy who decided it needed to go to a home where it would be used!

There is not a lot to say about this skirt, it has been made exactly how I make all my skirts -

Waist finished with twill tape and edge stitched.
Hong Kong finish on vent, mitred corner, slip stitched hem and lace on lining
and the complete 3 Pac!!

I have made a toile of Marfy 1913 blouse and will show that as soon as I wash the gelatine out of it.

2014 Stash Out: 2.4 m
2014 Stash In:  19.25 m